” I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself” – Emma Stone
Inspired by a recent group of my workshop participants, as well as my upcoming trip to Paris, France with my teenage daughter, promoted me to read and reflect on the phrase “je ne sais quoi”, a phrase often used to describe French or Parisian women. I read recently that we spend the first half of our life trying to fit in, while the second half we spend trying to stand out. Inspiring, nurturing, and encouraging our children to have the confidence and independence to fully embrace their unique whole selves and live fully, especially during this first half of their lives, is my deepest desire for them. I think the best way to do this is to do our best and model it for them. I couldn’t agree more with the following quote:
“Taking care of yourself is part of taking care of your kids” – Lenny Lemons
Here’s what I found that best describes someone who embodies “je ne sais quoi”:
- Nurtures her internal well-being as much as her external beauty. Life isn’t about impressing others but enjoying herself.
- Accentuates her strengths, focusing on her unique characteristics, both physically and personality. Owning what she has, not fixing or changing herself. She shows up as the best version of herself.
- Keeps her beauty natural and authentic to her unique physical characteristics.
- She finds pleasure in healthy, quality food, indulging in moderation.
- She uses her clothing and physical appearance as a tool to establish and represent her state of being.
- Brings passion to everything she does, from the mundane to the big things.
- Stops trying so hard to impress others. It’s about being you!
- She is self-possessed, and builds her life around knowing what she loves, what turns her on, what’s she’s passionate about. She builds her life on inner joy and personal radiance. Finds answers within and shares that passion with the world.
- She simplifies her life so she has more space to strive for passionate pursuits and stress-free living.
- She savours the moment by slowing down.
- While she visualizes and plans her life, and where she’s going, she can let go of control and enjoy her journey. She focuses on how to presently show up in the moment.
- She does not take life too seriously, approaching her life with a playfulness and friskiness that delights everyone she encounters.
- She continuously learns and grows.
- She exudes confidence, intelligence, sophistication, and style that comes from the clarity of knowing who she is!
Understanding ourselves, our strengths, weaknesses, fears and underlying beliefs that get in our way to becoming our best self is fundamental in discovering our je ne sais quoi. The “This is You” workshop and Striving Styles Personality System helps us to further dive into an understanding of our personality, helps us to recognize our innate strengths, offers insight and understanding of ourselves and and how our unique brain works. These are the skills needed to uncover and nurture our authentic self. Contact me if you would like to discover your je ne sais quoi!